Pinakbet or pakbet is a stewed vegetable added with a shrimp paste (bagoong). This includes common vegetables such as pumpkin, eggplant, lady finger (okra), bitter melon, eggplant, tomatoes and long beans. Fried pork or fish can also add better taste to pinakbet recipe.
The recipe that we feature now is the simplest way on how to cook pinakbet using the basic ingredients of vegetables with bagoong.
- 30 grams shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, 1 medium size onion and 20 grams ginger (minced)
- 100 grams tomatoes (sliced in cubes)
- 200 grams pumpkins
- 200 grams lady finger (serving slice)
- 200 grams bitter melon (serving slice)
- 200 grams long beans (serving slice)
- 200 grams eggplant (serving slice)
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 200 ml water or as needed
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- salt and pepper (as needed)
Pinakbet Cooking Procedures:
1. Heat the cooking oil. Saute garlic, onions and ginger until light brown.
2. Saute shrimp paste for 1 minute and add water. Add the soy sauce.
3. Add the pumpkins and cook for 3 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and wait until done. Do not overcook the vegetables.
4. Serve the pinakbet with rice. Enjoy!