Chicken Afritada (Apritada) is another recipe made with tomato sauce. A Spanish inspired dish which is very famous in Philippine cuisine. Chicken is sauteed or pan fried with potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, spices, broth and of course tomato. Afritada is delectable to eat with steamed rice.
Chicken Afritada Ingredients:
- 500 grams chicken (serving slices)
- 300 grams potatoes
- 300 grams carrots
- 100 grams tomato paste
- 150 grams bell pepper
- 120 grams green peas
- Chicken cubes (Alternative to chicken broth)
- 300 ml water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Ground pepper (according to taste preference)
- 2 pcs. dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a cooking pan. Pan fry the chicken 3 minutes each side or until light brown. Set-aside.
- Place the cooking pan to the fire again and saute garlic and onion for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, chicken cubes (OR Chicken Broth), and water. Add the chicken. Cover and let it boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, green peas, sugar and ground pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove dried bay leaves and serve the chicken afritada with rice.
For more details, please see the Chicken Afritada cooking video below:
You might also like: