Arroz Caldo is a Chinese congee version in the Philippines. This kind of recipe is a rice porridge or commonly known as “lugaw”. There are a lot of variations on how to cook arroz caldo. Some prefer to use glutinous rice or just simply rice added with seasonings to taste better.
This congee meal is very popular in Asia and suitable to serve any time of the day. If you are thinking of a meal that is easy to swallow, then try to cook your own preference taste of congee.
- 1 cup clean uncooked rice (OR glutinous rice)
- 500 grams chicken (serving size)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 10 grams ginger (cut into strips)
- green onions (small cut – separate stem and leaves)
- hard boiled eggs
- chicken broth cubes (OR chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ground pepper & fish sauce (according to your taste preference)
- 6 cups of water
Arroz Caldo Cooking Procedures:
1. Heat oil in a casserole. Saute garlic, onion(stem) and ginger for 30 seconds.
2. Add the chicken and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth cubes. Pour water and add the rice. Boil and cook for 25 minutes. Occasional stirring is needed to prevent from sticking to the casserole.
3. Add the boiled egg and simmer for 2 minutes. Add ground pepper and the fish sauce as needed. Garnish with onion (leaves) and serve the arroz caldo while hot.